Monday 1 July 2013

86 - Tortilla 'Cake' With Cheese and Beans [Pastel de Tortillas Con Queso Y Judias]

Mmm... Tortilla. I was going to make a traditional sliced and fried potato Tortilla however I read through the 15+ recipes for other tortillas and thought that could be saved for another day. This recipe appealed as well because anyone who has ever seen my frying pan abilities knows that these are more likely to end up more like a scrambled cake mix then perfectly formed omelette....

The Verdict:
I Reiterate : Mmmmm... Tortilla. Fresh sweet basil is easily one of the nicest herbs in existence. I love it with humous on bread, in salads, sauces, soup... and tortillas.  I did add a small red chili for heat because I find that some tortillas can often be a bit bland and eggy.. [and because after a few weeks of being feeble I removed the jalepeno jar from the fridge and asked someone stronger than me to open it].. and it was absolutely great. It tasted more Italian to me than Spanish but either cuisine suits me fine. Thank you Spain for Tortillas. Thank you Italy for Ricotta. Really Scrumptious. Lovely balance of flavour, great colours and I didn't even mess up the presentation that badly. Next time though I think I'd add some paprika to the mix and replace the green beans [a vegetable I'm really not that enamored by] with salad onions [which I love]. Still with another 15 or so recipes for different tortillas [could be a sub category in itself] who knows what I'll be adding next... 

Taste :  4/5        Mediterranean Medley        
 Time :   2.5/5     35 Minutes
Visual :  4.5/5     With Practice This Could Look Great
Magic :  3.5/5     Could be Improved 

No comments:

Post a Comment