Wednesday 10 April 2013

10 - Serrano Ham and Melon Mousse [Jamon Serrano Con Mousse Melon]




Ideally I should of saved this for a hot summer's day when one needs something cold and refreshing. Being the UK I can't guarantee that we would have such a day but could confirm that i had half a melon in the fridge which I didn't want to waste. The recipe called for 2-4 hours cooling time in the fridge so I made this is the morning and left it to set all day while I was out at work. [I also was then cheeky and made the marinade for tomorrow's tapa when I got in - and boy is that one is going to be so incredibly tasty]. This worked out well as two deadlines tomorrow mean I have no time tonight for anything more. 


The verdict:
Dear Melon, I just wanted to say sorry for ever doubting you or passing you off as a mediocre fruit. Yes. THIS is the way to eat Melon. The mousse was light and lovely. I have no idea if I even made it remotely right but it had a gorgeous, silky, almost sorbet-like texture when it melted in my mouth. A crackling of black pepper on top gives a hint of savoury-ness which goes well with the serrano ham. I wonder if summer ever arrives if this would also work with matermelon or if gin could be added for a strange cocktail...



Taste :    4/5       Melting Moments
Time :   2.5/5      20 Minutes [plus time to set in fridge]

Visual :   4/5       Pretty Cool 
Magic :  4/5       Pretty Darn Good

No comments:

Post a Comment