Monday 22 April 2013

19 - Cod in Beer [Bacalo Con Cerveza]



Finally some fish! About 1/4 of the book's recipes contain some kind of fish/ seafood and while I'm not going to start with baby eels in vodka, the helpful fish counter [and totally confused staff] in Sainsbury's is finally allowing me to work through some of them. I also thought that over weekends I'd have more time to write this but I've simply just been really busy recently and having some days off makes me want to take them off entirely. Its also time to use another kitchen, which is fun and makes me wonder how many will be used in the completion of this insane challenge. 

The Verdict: 
The recipe called for baby cod and we just used a fillet so I have no idea if there is any taste difference. It was a lovely piece of fish good and the breadcrumbs give it an almost battered feeling but its definitely lacking some punch. Perhaps using a different beer with more of a malty flavour or the addition of some more herbs may jazz it up. Or perhaps all its needs is some chips and vinegar. Who knows but it definitely needs something. Cooking it in a balti dish though was a good idea...








Taste :     3/5    Well cooked and Nice but Bland-ish
Time  :     3/5    25 minutes
Visual :     3/5      Good Dish
Magic :     3/5      Perhaps With A Different Beer



* The first time I reviewed this I may have been a bit harsh on the poor cod and it came out as a 10. So I've retrospectively reviewed that and given it a much fairer score. It was perfectly cooked and such a lovely pice of fish that it deserved more than 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment