Wednesday 29 May 2013

57 - Rice with Sausage, Bacon and Bonito [Arroz con Salchichas, Tocino y Bonito]



Time to exploit some local shops. I had a day working from home so I could catch up/ work on being a person again. It almost worked but certainly gave me time to use some more local ingredients. 3 minutes from where I stay are some lovely little vegetable/coffee/flower/butcher shops which as I work out of town, I never have any opportunity to explore. So having a day locally and with time to cook meant that something crazy had to be made. (Perhaps influenced by the incredibly cheap and mind-blowingly strong expresso from the Sicillian cafe - possible the best coffee I have ever had in the UK comes from this place and as it works out at 75p a shot its really rather awesome). This dish was chosen because it sounded a bit mad, involved a lot more green than usual and used soy sauce which is odd. 

The Verdict:
The bacon from the local butchers was UNREAL. Easily the best thing about this distinctly odd dish. This was just a bit weird but sadly not strange enough to be interesting. While it was nice to eat something with a distinctly non-Spanish flavour had it not been for the bacon this would have been rather plain. Ultimately it tasted like a Chinese side dish of fried rice. Bit salty and not bad but certainly not as exciting as I'd hoped for given the ingredients. Plus it has celery which added a nice crunch but is a vegetable that outside of soup stocks I tend to avoid (entirely due my ex who once grated some celery into a pile of lovely mashed potato creating a fibrous potato hair ball which was the most un-swallowable thing I've ever had the misfortune to put in my mouth) . I think due to the lack of herbs I should of added more olives than I did to compensate.


Taste:       3/5 Great Bacon
Time :    2.5/5  40 mins
Visual :  2.5/5  Special Rice
Magic :     2/5  Weird

No comments:

Post a Comment